Brain Mill Press is excited to announce its role as publisher of the Bare Lit ’16 Anthology.

 

Bare Lit FestivalThe Bare Lit ’16 Anthology will feature fiction, poetry, and graphic novel work from Bare Lit ’16 participants, published to support Bare Lit, a UK literary festival focused entirely on writers of colour to highlight the amazing work being produced by Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic writers.

All proceeds from the sale of the anthology will be donated to the Bare Lit Festival.

Details about the project can be found in the Media Diversified press release. If you’d like to be notified of updates about the anthology, including when it is available to preorder and buy, sign up for the notification list.

 

Media Diversified

Press Release

Bare Lit, the UK’s largest literature festival devoted wholly to BAME writers, takes the next step forward with its upcoming anthology from leading international authors.

Published by Brain Mill Press, the book Bare Lit ’16 Anthology features work by a selection of Bare Lit 2016 participants, plus poets, fiction authors and graphic novel creators. Joining the Bare Lit team to curate the anthology are author Kavita Bhanot, editor of the short story collection Too Asian, Not Asian Enough, which challenges and deconstructs stereotypes around British Asian writing, and award-winning writer Courttia Newland, author of seven works of fiction and co-edited IC3: the Penguin Book of New Black Writing in Britain.

Organised by global media and advocacy platform Media Diversified, the Bare Lit initative seeks to celebrate the work and achievements of BAME literary voices in the UK, and to stand against their silencing by the literary mainstream.

The data reveals that such talent is woefully overlooked. Last year’s World Book Night UK, which ostensibly seeks to raise awareness of the best of international literature, failed to feature a single non-white author on its reading list. In 2014, only 4% of the 2000-plus authors featured at the UK’s three largest literary festivals came from Black Caribbean, Black African, South Asian or East Asian backgrounds; the other 96% were white.

The anthology represents the latest step in Media Diversified’s efforts to continuously promote BAME writers in the publishing world, in a way that bypasses mainstream notions of “diversity” to place voices of colour at the forefront. As editor Kavita Bhanot states, “This anthology is about creating a space for writers of colour to shine on their own terms”.

Previous Media Diversified publishing ventures include the ebook Complicit No More, a compilation of essays on feminism by BAME women writers, the upcoming ebook Fantasy’s Othering Fetish, which collects the platform’s series of articles on racism in the fantasy genre, and From the Lines of Dissent, to be published by Out-Spoken Press in November 2016.

The anthology is set to debut in February of next year, to coincide with Bare Lit 2017.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This

Share this post with your friends!